Friday 13 January 2012

The Tree people

I've been busy painting the first new pictures of 2012 and wanted to show you the idea behind them. It may seem a little strange but so are my favourite fairytales!

Inspired by the 'Old Masters' with these renaissance kind-o-style paintings. I didn't quite know how these were going to turn out. Painting in acrylic with a subject that has taken months to paint in oils was a little tricky. These were painted as small paintings on board, some with added mica.

I feel that these should have a deep and profound fairy story behind them....based on true and ancient beliefs. Maybe one day I will write about them properly but here is a beginning. I had to start off from somewhere........Once upon a time, the tribes around the Earth had a magic man or women, a Shaman. This was the tribes King or Queen that they would come to see for healing, guidance, insight and wisdom for the times and journeys to come. Long before the Egyptians the shamans wore crowns on their heads with symbols, feathers, stone and gems, so you can see how our kings and queens still have these crowns (?).
The fae have the best crowns. Are they the shamans of old still on this earth plane?  Of course they are!!!.........

Please feel free to add anything to the story. This could get very interesting! I'll keep close to see how the story goes.  Good luck. X


10 comments:

  1. Such wonderfully spirited paintings ~ absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful!

    Hummm as for the story, what about....

    .....their powers have been greatly reduced as more and more people turned their backs on them, focusing instead on the pursuit of technology and money. There are still, however, indiviuals who believe and if they search themselves and look to nature they find that the magic of the Shamans still exists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your paintings are lovely,sensitive,poetic,touching and beautiful as always! I love the idea of writing a story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the pointed hats of today's hallowe'en witches derive from the tall hats of the ancient story-tellers, worn to make them stand out from the tribe (a bit like the guides with umbrellas today). As the story tellers had knowledge and therefore power, the later religious 'new' story tellers had to vilify the old and so turned their stories and symbols into signs of evil.

    Maybe your story could nod toward this, but maybe with a better outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are magical ... I just love the fae folk ... and really do believe in them.

    Happiness to ALL !

    ReplyDelete
  6. .....so one windy,grey day a young boy found a box by the rivers edge. A curious sort of box with carvings and pictures of untold lands. He sat on the bank and picked up this box and as he struggled to find a way of opening it his hand felt a lose piece in the box's design.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, of course they are still on this earth plane! wonderful idea and your paintings are rich and enticing, begging to be looked at deeply and over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are really gorgeous! and i love Bat For Lashes, too =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, these have such a richness to them. I see you are a girl after my own heart too. I love to make up tales to accompany pieces that I do, I was bought up on stories my Grandad used to tell & carried on telling them to my own wee ones, & I just never stopped so now I tell stories for me ;-)

    hmm the story . . . As the boy turned the box gently over to discover where the loose piece was, it fell away in his hands and he caught a glimpse of a sparkling light shining out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your art is so special and really speaks to me! I found you through Etsy...Wishing you continued inspiration and success :)

    Carrie


    www.CaraMiaBella.com

    ReplyDelete